Does child support payments stop when child turns 18 and just started senior year of high school, or after graduation?

Asked about 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I live in Florida, child turns 18 in senior year of high school. Does child support payments stop on 18th birthday or graduation from high school? There is no court ordered child support, only verbal agreement between parents.

1. Sema Yildirim

3

Answered . If there is no court order it usually stops at the 18th birthday. Often courts order 18 or until the child finishes high-school (by they time the child turns 19). But if there is no court order, it will be 18, which is when the child emancipates by law. It seems it has been going well with the verbal agreement. If you are the paying parent, you should consider continuing the payments. Child Support is for the child's benefit. But you don't have to.

2. Brent Allan Rose

1

Answered . Ms. Yildirim is correct. Without a court order, there is no legal stopping point because there was no legal starting point. And, as an aside, the payments are probably in the wrong amount since the payments probably weren't calculated according to Florida guidelines. But if you want to use the statute as a guideline, child support in Florida stops at 18 unless the judge orders it extended until graduation or age 19, whichever occurs earlier.