Does child support get cut in half when one child turns 18 years old and the other is 15?

Asked over 2 years ago - Wallingford, CT

Let's say I've been getting $150 a week child support for 2 children. One child turned 18 and graduated from high school. Is the child support for the remaining child $75? I thought it would be something like $100 a week for one child but not as much for the second child. Can their father take it upon himself to alter the support or is he supposed to get a court order? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, the guidelines for child support calculate a new number and it is most likely around 2/3 of 2 kids assuming incomes and medical insurances are the same now as when the last order entered. you cannot just reduce your payment and if you do you will be in contempt. You need to file a motion by order to show cause and have it served by a marshal to get your retroactivity from service to the date of hearing. Hire a lawyer now and do it right or it will cost you in the long run.

    This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client... more
  2. Answered . I agree with my colleague. Child support does not automatically get cut in half. It will be over half for the remaining child. You should consult an attorney and run the guidelines to determine the exact amount.

Related Topics

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Ending child support

State laws vary as to when child support actually ends, but many set it at the age of majority (legal adulthood) or upon the child's high school graduation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,057 answers this week

3,636 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,057 answers this week

3,636 attorneys answering