Does carrying a handgun during the commision of a crime carry a mandatory sentence in ga

Atlanta, GA |

My husband Had a armed robbery charge he Had to serve 13 yrs I know Thts mandatory but he also Had having a handgun during the commision of a crime he has five Years

The armed robbery charge has a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison without parole. The possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony charge has a mandatory 5 years sentence consecutive to the underlying crime. The sentence on the firearm charge can be probated.

The five extra years is mandatory, but it can be on probation. So yes, it is mandatory. No, it doesn't have to be in prison.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Yes, but I think that 5 years can be done on probation, but it is mandatory.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia