Does California have an interlocutory judgment for partition of property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Union City, CA

Single family residence that cannot be physically subdivided between several co-owners in an equitable fashion.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Noah Kitta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . California, and for many years, had the availability of an interlocutory judgment for partition of real property. This is the major step that must be accomplished before the court thereafter issues a final judgment. In regard to this particular matter, the law has changed very little in the past 35 years

    I hope this is helpful.

    John N. Kitta

    This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client... more
  2. David S Hoffman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If there is a divorce or dissolution action going on, this is best asked in that venue. However, if there are several owners, (not just husband and wife), and some owners want to sell and others don't, those owners that want to sell can bring an action for "Partition" which, in effect, forces a sale of the real property, through court supervision.

    Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,957 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,957 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering