Does biological father have right to see child if not on birth certificate?

Weymouth, MA |

My estranged husband is on my son's birth certificate, not his biological father.
His biological father wants to see his son, but i don't feel my son is safe around him (i have reasons that i dont want to get into).

Does he have any right to see the child without first going through some kind of legal process? Will i get in trouble from keeping him from seeing his son?

1. The only way the alleged biological father would have any rights is to file a paternity claim in Probate Court. (I say "alleged" because you do not have legal proof of the fact.) The Court could order a DNA test and then order the birth certificate be changed if in fact the DNA comes back as showing that the alleged biological father is the father. At that point he could file a complaint for visitation. Whether he would get visitation depends on whether the court finds such visitation to be in the child's best interest.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

2. Since your estranged husband is listed on your son's birth certificate and especially if your child was born during your marriage to your estranged husband, he is presently considered to be your son's father and has rights and obligations to your child. The other "biological father" currently has no rights and also no obligations to the child and will need to establish paternity to gain rights. If who you consider to be the true biological father is determined to be so, the birth certificate could be corrected with the proper name inserted as the father. If the other "biological father," does nothing, he will continue to have no rights.

You will not get in trouble for denying somebody rights who is right now just another guy. Is the estranged father aware that he is probably not the biological father, is he paying child support, and does he have visitation?

If who you consider to be the true biological father takes the necessary steps and is declared to be the father, then he would gain visitation rights (and possibly at some point could make a custody claim as well) and you should seek child support from him. As for your safety concern, there are many options that you could pursue to decrease your concern such as supervised visitation (somebody else watches over the visits), drug tests, counseling, etc...

You do not state how old the child is, but if your child has believed your estranged husband to be the father for many years, you will need to tread carefully and the "other" father should be introduced into your child's life slowly.

The content of this answer should not be relied upon or used as a subsitute for consultation with professional advisors and it should be clearly understood that no attorney-client privilege has been created. A more complete answer and/or more accurate answer can only be provided in a more thorough examination of the facts in a consultation with my firm.

3. Yes, but needs to acknowledge paternity and may have to file an action.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.