DOES BEING MARRIED TO AN ILLEGAL PERSON JEOPARDIZE MY CHANCES OF GETTING MY CITIZENSHIP APPROVED? ARE THERE ANY RISKS FOR HER?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marietta, GA

I WANT TO MARRY A GIRL WHO IS HERE ILLEGALY. SHE ENTERED WITH A J1 VISA BUT NOW IS OUT OF STATUS. I AM A GREENCARD HOLDER (ASYLUM) AND WILL BE APPLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP IN ABOUT 2 YEARS. I AM AFRAID I MAY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH GETTING MY CITIZENSHIP BECAUSE OF THIS. (BEING MARRIED TO ILLEGAL ALIEN). DO MY FEARS HAVE ANY GROUND OR WE CAN PROCEED WITH THE MARRIAGE? ALSO, ARE THERE ANY RISKS FOR HER? (LIKE DEPORTATION)

1. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with many of the statements here. The simple fact that you are married to a visa-overstay does not stop you from being eligible for citizenship. You will need to disclose that you are married and list her her name and address, though, so USCIS will be aware of her presence in the United States. Unless she is of extreme interest to ICE (terrorist, extensive criminal history, etc.) the odds are very small that she would come into harm's way. As soon as you are a citizen, though, I highly recommend filing an I-130/I-485 for her to get her protected.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Raphael Samuel Moore

3

Answered . The marraige in and of itself will not be an issue, but it can cause other problems for your fiance. Get legal advice before you marry.

3. Robert Henry Beer

1

Answered . I agree my colleagues. You are not going to be denied naturalization because you are married to an illegal alien. However, if your girlfriend (wife) is NOT subject to the 2 year foreign residency requirement, she may still adjust her status here because she is married to a U.S, Citizen because of an exception in INA ยง203. I am in Marietta and can be reached at either (770)955-1785 or via e-mail at bob@bobbeer.com. Hope that helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER..

4. Anthony Meleika Aboseif

2

Answered . Being married to someone out-of-status, alone, will not prevent you from getting citizenship. I highly recommend contacting a local experienced attorney to evaluate any possible risks for you or your fiancee.