Does Bankruptcy cover drivers responsibility?

Detroit, MI |

I owe driver responsibility fees and one ticket. Will filing bankruptcy cover this.

1. Should cover all debts with the exception of a few I.e. IRS and student loans, etc. you need to consult a bankruptcy attorney.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

2. Bankruptcy doesn't cover damages for offenses that fall into the category of crimes or misdemeanors. Sometimes drawing the distinction between a government fee and a citation under the criminal laws can be tricky. A local attorney specializing in bankruptcy will have a better grip on this issue. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Not necessarily. You need to take the situation to a bankruptcy attorney to make sue you know your rights and the possibilities.

Dan

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

4. If I had to guess, probably not dischargeable in bankruptcy. But cannot really say one way or the other. You will want to discuss this question with someone familiar with the fee and how it is assessed. As pointed out, most fees associated with crimes, even minor traffic offenses, are usually non-dischargeable.

5. Talk with a bankruptcy attorney.

6. See:
    11 USC 523(a)
    "A discharge under section 727 ... or 1328(b) of this title does not discharge an individual debtor from any debt--
    ...
    (7) to the extent such debt is for a fine, penalty, or forfeiture payable to and for the benefit of a governmental unit, and is not compensation for actual pecuniary loss..."

7. Unlikely. It would probably not be prudent to file bankruptcy and ruin your credit for the next decade over something like this. Have a local lawyer investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com