Does bankruptcy cover court fines that have gone to collections and holding my license

Federal Way, WA |

I have some traffic tickets in Lewis Co. WA. that have gone to collections but are holding my license. Does any chapter of bank ruptcy cover this issue??????????? I need to have a license for work to keep my job...

You should post your question to the bankruptcy attorneys.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Fines that are penalties are not discharged in bankruptcy. However, filing should get your license back. Withholding it to collect on a debt during bankruptcy violates the automatic stay. You will need to arrange payment on the debt though. The other option is to file for Chapter 13 and provide for paying the debt over 3-5 years through your plan.

Consult with a Bankruptcy attorney in your area for more information and to determine whether you can file and which chapter is best for you.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

A bankruptcy petition does not make the fine automatically go away, as some people believe.

If bankruptcy is your best option in dealing with your debts, you should consult a bankruptcy attorney in the Western District of Washington (west of the Cascades) to assist you in creating a plan to pay off the judgments or go into a payment plan to pay off the judgments from your Lewis County tickets.

A debtor attorney may be able to assist in getting a district court judge in Lewis County to pull the tickets from collection and get you on a suitable payment plan, perhaps without ever dealing with bankruptcy court.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets