Does AOS through marriage have anything to do with been in debt ?

Asked 9 months ago - Saint Paul, MN

I just filed to obtain my green card after marriage, I went to school a few years ago and still have a few thousand dollars in debt ( credit cards and student loans ) I am not sure if that has anything to do with the AOS, my husband talked to a lawyer in a different state on the phone and he told him that I have to pay off my debt or the process will take forever! I am not working right now actually and its impossible for me to pay it right now ..please any advice?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . Not really relevant for AOS purposes but unless you meet the financial requirements for the Affidavit of Support you must secure a co-sponsor to file an additional affidavit of support.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . No, but you must either have the income required for the affidavit of support requirement, or will have to find a co-sponsor with the required income.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

Answered . Debt, in and of itself, is not an impediment to the adjustment of status process. Get a second opinion!