Skip to main content

Does anything else need to be done with the minute order to make it a judgment?

Folsom, CA |

Child visitation dispute, I have full physical and legal custody, the judge awarded supervised visits to the NCP and requested parenting classes. We both had lawyers representing us. I don't want to ask them this question if I do not have to (since they will charge me for it), so I am hoping someone can answer me here. Do I need to do anything with the minute order to make it official? I know the orders are in effect immediately, but I am worried about cops getting involved and not being able to read the judge's writing. Since I am the one who filed the motion, is it my burden to write up the orders? My attorney wants me to sign a satisfaction of agreement form so I am assuming they will not be processing the minute order. Thank you!

Ok so I spoke with my attorney and they said since the judge did not check the box on the minute order stating it is necessary to prepare findings and order after hearing that we do not need to do anything at this point and the minute order will stand by itself..... does this sound accurate?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Typically, the judge will ask the prevailing party to draft an Order After Hearing. A Minute Order is not sufficient as it often leaves out important information (Supervised visits with who? Professional or Non-Professional? How many parenting classes? Reporting requirement? As a prerequisite to unmonitored visits?)

    No one likes to pay their attorney, I get it. But in this case, you've come this far and your attorney is in the best position to draft the Order After Hearing for you. It really is necessary, and now is not the time to sub him/her out of the case. Good luck.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

  2. I agree with Ms. Norton, but someone has to type up the order on the correct form. I will not do it for free either.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

  3. Somebody has to type the order and get it entered and that takes the skill of a lawyer to make sure it is done legally and is fully binding. You cannot expect your lawyer to do that for free.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics