Does anyone know a good fathers rights lawyer in Du Page county IL that doesn't charge a large amount of money?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Villa Park, IL

I am trying to get custody of my 9 year old or at the very least visitation. I have been denied visits for over a year now and only saw him at Christmas. His his mother is taking my child support and not paying rent and now she is being evicted. I tried doing something pro se but the judge told me I really needed a lawyer since she will not work with me. I pay her over $800 a month in child support so it is difficult for me to afford a lawyer or one that will work with me.

I fear for my child's safety since they will have no place to go. Child protection has already been there numerous times and have done nothing. Her own parents have called child protection and expressed their concerns that she may have a mental problem but they still have done nothing to help.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Gary L. Schlesinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . fathers have the same rights as mothers. father's rights is an advertising slogan. just go interview a few lawyers and hire the one you like best.

  2. Dean Taradash


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Schlesinger is absolutely correct, the "father's rights" slogan is just that, a slogan. Lawyers represent their clients zealously, regardless of their sex. My firm has been representing men and women in DuPage for many years. Feel free to call. You certainly do need an attorney.

    312-987-9999 ext. 15

  3. Stephanie Elise Greenberg

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Our firm practice family law in DuPage County and has represented a good number of men seeking rights for their children. Feel free to give our office a call at (312) 905-3013 or send an email to

    This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.
  4. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are wrong to look for a "father's rights" attorney. That is simply a hook to get potential clients into the office. You are absolutely correct in looking for an attorney who wants to do the best for the child and for the client. You want an attorney who knows the law, is experienced enough to see both sides of an argument and to zealously represent the client regardless of gender.

    There are many good lawyers near you. Go consult with several and higher the one you like the best.

  5. Luke D. Kazmar


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are a father, odds are that almost any attorney you consult will be, or quickly become a father's rights attorney. That is the nature of advocacy. As for inexpensive, you will probably believe every attorney is too expensive. But, you tend to get what you pay for. Of an attorney could charge $8,000 per hour and be in demand, what do you think he or she would charge? Supply & Demand economics.

    The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above,... more
  6. Joseph Henry Sparacino

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Have you thought of going for an Emergency Order of Protection based on the DCFS contact? It is a chance to get temporary possession of your son for his safety and to possibly have a therapist interview him to see what effect his mother's behavior has had on him. I have represented fathers my entire carreer and intensively in the last seven years. If the maternal grandparents are willing to testify on your behalf that is a huge point in your favor. Our office has an attorney who lives in Du Page County and is very experienced there; William Dowling. As Bill is often in Court call our assistant Dan London at 312-807-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation. At the consultation you and Bill can discuss the confidential details he needs to craft a strategic plan. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

    This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,203 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,203 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering