Does an insurance adjuster have the authority to obtain my social security number to access information?

Berkeley, CA |

An insurance co. opened a new liability claim for me. I was injured on a persons property while working by the hour for the home owner. The adjuster asked me for my ssa number. I gave it to her. She said the reason she needed it was to see if I had medicare coverage. She claimed they only covered what medicare doesn't pay. I have no insurance.
What should or can I do to stop her from accessing information with my ssa number.

1. Nothing, it's too late. (This is why you should have retained a personal injury attorney to represent you in the matter.)

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. You are not obligated to give your social security number. Also, if Medi-Care paid anything, the insurance company is still obligated to pay you that amount in order forcyou to reimburse the amount paid (assuming the land owner/occupier is responsible for your damages). These are tricky matters, and you should talk to a personal injury attorney to discuss your case further.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com
    (800)268-9228

3. You need to get some representation. While it may ultimately be necessary to provide this type of information, it is best to have an attorney determine the necessity of this and other procedures to make sure you are fully compensated.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

4. I would agree with counsel but it is not too late to hire a lawyer before you make further mistakes.

5. Adjusters obtain socials for more than just Medicare issues. One of the many reasons is a background check on you. This is just one obstacle you will be facing. Get a lawyer.

ATTORNEY DISCLAIMER TO THE ABOVE ANSWER: The information that I have provided to you is for general information purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice for your individual circumstance. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with an attorney in your State directly so that the attorney has the full facts, documents, and an account from other witnesses that help support your contentions. If you like my comment, please click on the thumbs-up link below.

6. You are not obligated. Hire a lawyer. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

7. Contrary to what the adjuster told you there is no obligation to provide SS number. Even the medicare form has a section where you can refuse to reveal that information. Time to "Lawyer Up' before you make any further mistakes.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

8. The cat is out of the bag. Retain a personal injury lawyer to go after the policy.

9. In addition to the other answers, the adjuster is wrong about them paying only what isnt covered by medicare. medicare is secondary to any other insurance available, including premises medical (no fault), workers compensation, liability, etc. You may have a workers comp claim depending upon the number of hours you had worked and amount you were paid. Homeowners ins normally has workers comp coverage to cover situations like yours. If the homeowner was negligent in some way, the liability ins may be subject to a claim. You dont say how you got hurt. it is possible that some 3d party is also liable.

10. Personal injury claims have become a minefield of aggressive insurance company investigation. Follow the advice of the good AVVO attorneys in CA and retain one. In Massachusetts, one of 2 states in which I practice, the law requires claimants to provide current home address, date of birth, and Social Security Number when filing an insurance claim. M.G.L. c. 175, Sec. 24D(f). This allows insurance companies to "index" a claim, or find out about every claim the individual has ever made. Here's more about how insurance companies investigate claims: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.