Does an Harassment 2 conviction in NYS show up on a background check?

Albany, NY |

A couple years ago I was in a bad relationship which resulted in me being charged with Menacing 2nd. I was made an offer of Harassment 2 with a conditional discharge of 01/22/2013 instead, which I plead guilty to. I'm now in the process of applying to graduate school. Will this show up on a background check?

It's a violation so it will seal but not until the CD ends, which is one year after the sentencing date. You may be able to get it sealed early. I've done that lots of times.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.