Does an estoppel modify or take precedence over a commercial lease?

San Francisco, CA |

I am one of the users of a space for which a commercial lease was signed, followed later by an estoppel. I'm wondering what weight the estoppel has and whether it effectively modifies or takes precedence over the lease. For example, if we are using the space in a way that is prohibited in the estoppel but not prohibited in the lease, which has more legal value?

1. If you are referring to an estoppel certificate for the benefit of a 3rd party, such as a prospective purchaser of the property, the certificate is used for you to state truthfully (so that the purchaser can rely on your disclosures) the terms and circumstances of your tenancy. It is usually prepared by the landlord for you to sign. It does not modify the terms of the lease although it may require you to affirm that a particular use is not being made of the property. If so, and if you are using the premises contrary to the representation in the certificate, you should insist on striking that provision or you should not sign the certificate because it would be untrue.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Based on your description and comments, you need to take your lease and the estoppel and any other documents to a local landlord tenant or real estate lawyer for a consultation.