Does an entity have to give a reason why they are unable to comply with subpoena?

Detroit, MI |

Can an entity request more time to comply with a subpoena right before the production of documents is due with regard to the subpoena?

1. Yes. If more time is needed to fully comply with the request, it can generally be granted. Asking for a great deal of company documents can generally lead to this kind of scenario.

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

2. In normal discovery proceedures: Usually it is only necessary to call the attorney (or have your attorney call them) who represents the entitiy or person asking for the documents and ask for an extension.. If you are making a good faith attempt to produce the documents a request will typically be granted.. Try to make the extension short though..

Otherwise you can file a motion in the lawsuit which generated the discovery request

If I can be of additional assistance please feel free to email me at james@weineresq.com or call me at 248-901-0750. Please also note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information I provide.