Does an employer owe me my accrued vacation pay after I quit? What if I don't give a full 2 weeks notice?

Asked over 2 years ago - Portland, OR

Owes accrued vacation from the 2011 calendar year.

1. Scott T Cliff

Answered . In Oregon, vacation pay is not a statutory right; your entitlement to it is considered to be contractual, meaning that the employer may define how it is accrued, how it may be used, how--or whether--it may be carried over into subsequent years, and whether it is owed upon termination. This means that you must look to the employer's stated policies for your answer. If the employer does not have a clearly stated policy to the contrary that is published to employees, vacation pay that is accrued must be paid as wages upon termination of employment. Willful failure to pay such wages when due at termination may subject the employer to penalty wages. You should contact a lawyer about how to handle this to maximize your potential recovery of penalty wages under the recently amended statute.