Does an employer have to tell its employees if they hire a sex offender?

Atlanta, GA |

I recently found out an employee of mine is a registered sex offender for child molestation. I was appaled. frequently children of other employees come in the office, and the parents are unaware. Do our employers not have to tell us if they hire someone convicted of a sex crime?

No, no such disclosure is required by law. Why are there young children wandering around unsupervised at a place of business such that a disclosure of the fact would make any difference?

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Not exactly. If they do not and the new hire commits a sex crime against an employee or a relative of an employee, they might be able to be sued. Legally, though, there is no requirement that they do so. Unfortunately, except for unionized workers, or government employees, the rest of us have almost no rights as an employee.

The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.