Does an elderly husband have the right to know where his wife's family is moving her to?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

They live together at an ALF and her family doesnt like him, so they are moving her to another ALF and asking that no-one tell him where she is moving to.

1. Marian Audrey Lindquist

6

1

Answered . I am so sorry you are involved in this situation. You don't mention whether Wife has a health care surrogate and who her surrogate is. Husband is the next of kin and has more rights than her adult children. If Husband wants control of this situation you may want to hire an attorney because I am sure the attorney can find out where the wife is, by requesting the information.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

1

Answered . This situation is horrible. Her family members have no say unless one is appointed as her health surrogate, which probably is not the case. An attorney should be at least consulted for him, he has a right to know where she is and may well have the right to determine where she should be. The matter gets more complex if neither of them can understand anything.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

1

1

Answered . This is truly unfortunate. My colleague is correct that in situations such as these health care surrogate documents are very important. I guess another question is whether the Wife is competent and able to make her own decisions.