Skip to main content

Does an elderly husband have the right to know where his wife's family is moving her to?

Lakeland, FL |

They live together at an ALF and her family doesnt like him, so they are moving her to another ALF and asking that no-one tell him where she is moving to.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am so sorry you are involved in this situation. You don't mention whether Wife has a health care surrogate and who her surrogate is. Husband is the next of kin and has more rights than her adult children. If Husband wants control of this situation you may want to hire an attorney because I am sure the attorney can find out where the wife is, by requesting the information.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button


This is truly unfortunate. My colleague is correct that in situations such as these health care surrogate documents are very important. I guess another question is whether the Wife is competent and able to make her own decisions.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


This situation is horrible. Her family members have no say unless one is appointed as her health surrogate, which probably is not the case. An attorney should be at least consulted for him, he has a right to know where she is and may well have the right to determine where she should be. The matter gets more complex if neither of them can understand anything.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer