Does an arrest serve as automatic violation to felony probation?

Okeechobee, FL |

An individual was placed on felony probation for habitual DWLS, they were recently arrested for the same offense. Does this new arrest violate his current probation?

Yes, an arrest can be the basis for a warrantless VOP. Whether the VOP is sustained will depend largely on whether the new law offense is sustained.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

The individual will likely be charged with a violation of probation. The individual will not automatically be violated, but they should contact an attorney immediately.

The "arrest" does not violate his probation. Committing the offense that leads to the arrest violates the probation. Whether it will lead to a revocation depends on a number of factors. It will almost certainly be investigated by the PO.

Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

yes

Yes this new charge will violate his current felony probation. As long as he is not considered a Violent Felony Offender of Special Concern he will likely get a bond. Consult a criminal defense attorney asap to discuss possible outcomes and defenses.
Good luck!

The bandwagon is correct. Yes.

The above advice is intended to be educational only. Any legal issue(s) should be brought to the attention of a licensed and qualified attorney in your state of residence. No attorney-client relationship exists or should be construed to exist by virtue of this post.

Yes, an arrest will definitely serve as a basis for a violation of probation.