Skip to main content

Does an arrest for a juvenile warrant as and adult show up on your record or affect sealing it, or buying a gun (NICS)?

San Clemente, CA |

I was taken to the county jail and I was 19 at the time. I had the warrant for about 3 years because I moved from the area and was never given notice of a court date. I was treated as a fugitive with no bail (it was a juvenile case, I was taken to the juvenile court for my hearing). Also, it says on my "terms and conditions" I am to remain on probation? But then, under #46 other it says, "case to be closed as unsuccessful". And I was told by my public defender that nothing would show up and it would have no affect on me. I just want to make sure. I just want this behind me but I this county can't stop following me it seems! When I was released from juvenile hall in 2010 I moved to OC and had no criminal contact (1 u turn ticket), graduated, got a good job, and they act like I'm some felon?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You will find out when you attempt to buy a gun. it will also depend on the nature of the charges and it appears none were found against you

    My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.

  2. Junenile convictions are not public. You should listen to your public defender, it is behind you.

  3. You can go to the juvenile court with your ID and ask to see if your file (case) was dismissed and whether it was sealed. If it was a felony or certain misdemeanors you will be prohibited from purchasing a weapon. This assumes you were convicted. Good luck. Hope this helps?

  4. File you application to by a gun. You will quickly learn whether or not anything is on your "record" which would prohibit you from possessing said firearm. Best of luck to you.

    San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

  5. Before you go and try to buy a gun, you should consult with a defense attorney to make sure you are not prohibited from purchasing/owning a gun.

    Most juvenile adjudications will not prohibit you from owning a gun, but certain offenses may prohibit you from owning one until you reach a certain age (30, I believe).

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics