Skip to main content

Does an apartment complex have to replace carpet after a tenant moves out that had multiple pets?

Denver, CO |

Said tenant had paid a non refundable pet deposit and monthly pet rent , as the new tenant may be allergic or something requiring the carpets to be replaced?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is no per se rule that carpet must be replaced after a tennat moves out. Whether this is reasonable and whether the tennant can be charged for the full cost of the replacement will depend on the age of the carpet and the condition it is in.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Normally, the landlord replaces the carpet if it cannot be cleaned to almost new. The landlord is required to paint walls with marks or damage. All lights and applicances must work.

A good guide to landlord-tenant rights can be downloaded from the Fort Collins City website:

Two things: 1) do not move in unless any promised repairs are done, or you have in writing, on the lease, that they are to be done by a certain date.
2) do not move in if the premises are not suitable to live in.

You can always complain about an unscrupulous landlord to the city or county in which the property is located.

Like many attorneys we will sit down and review your situation with you without charge.

Your best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options.

By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, legal documents, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

At Neighborhood Law Office we never charge for an initial consultation, and at that meeting we can go through your specific facts and give you options. Please call us anytime for an appointment.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Underhill
Neighborhood Law Office
7225 E. Hampden Ave.
Denver, CO 80224
303-302-1001 fax

NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship between the writer and the attorney. It is provided for general information. You should always consult an attorney about your important legal rights.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer