Does an accountant have the right to disclose any information about my private matters of my business?

Swansea, MA |

this person is disclosing information about my business in a form of blackmail . In other words if i don't give this person x-amount of money [that she is not entitled to] she plans on disclosing information that is not open to the public

1. You can make a complaint to the State, and the accountant may lose his/her professional license. Most accountants will jump through a lot of hoops to avoid or resolve a complaint to the Board.

Here is your info: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/pa/faqs.html

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. That's entirely illegal. You should consult an attorney and should seek advice.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

3. Echoing the previous answer, a threat to disclose confidential information that doesn't belong to the person threatening to disclose may be "actionable", and if the person threatening to disclose is prohibited from doing so (normally) by professional rules and or laws, they may also lose their license. However, the character of the information can be relevant - i.e. if someone was doing something improper and harming the public, and the blackmail was about that, the rules are a little different, but blackmail can still be actionable. You should contact a lawyer.