Does a zoning officer need probable cause to enter your property and do they not need a court issued warrant to trespass legally

Asked about 1 year ago - East Hanover, NJ

It came to my understanding that a neighbor lied to a zoning officer to bring him out to my residence. She falsely stated that i was operating a business from my residence. This is fictitious and with malice because she does not like my classic cars parked legally with QQ plates on my widened driveway.

Additionally the letter I received harasses me with the intent to have my legal vehicles removed from my property. I feel my civil rights are being violated. The letter goes on to state, I cannot maintain cars which may have some minor rust on them in plain sight, even though they are all drive-able cars and older restorations.
Furthermore states, I can not maintain a low-rise lift which has been on this property since the 1980's and my uncle owned the home ?

1. Thomas J. Wagner

3

Answered . As a constitutional matter, a zoning officer needs a warrant supported by probable cause to search an area where you have a REASONABLE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY that society (and the court) is willing to recognize and protect. I think that most courts are going to find that you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your driveway (unless you live in a walled in compound). You should raise all of these issues with a seasoned zoning/real estate attorney

2. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the answer of my distinguished colleagues. Probable cause is required and you need an experienced attorney to handle this matter for you. Good luck.

3. Kathryn Mary Holton

2

Answered . You made statement that definitely you should discuss with your lawyer if you are being cited in City or Municipal Court. To answer the question does a zoning officer need probable cause to enter your property the answer is yes, whether by 3rd party complaint or by general observation.