Does a withdrawn charge still show up on criminal record/background check?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I went through a preliminary hearing for a DUI charge about 3 months ago, and was given orders to go to trial downtown, where I was planning on ultimately getting the charges expunged completely through ARD.

About two weeks later I received a letter in the mail from the District Attorney stating that my charges were withdrawn and no further action will be taken.

I assume that this incident will still show up on my "arrest record", but what about my "criminal record" or future background checks? How do I get to the point of complete expungement?

The arrest will show up on a criminal background check. It is highly likely that if you filr an expungement petition it will be granted. You should hire an attorney to help you with the expungement processn.

Retain a criminal defense attorney who will be able to file an expungement petition and secure the appropriate order to have the entire record destroyed.

You should talk to an attorney about filing to have the charges expunged. Also, the circumstances you described sound rather unusual. You may also want to check with the clerk of courts to make sure that your understanding is correct and that your charges were actually withdrawn. Any criminal defense attorney can handle both of these things with ease.

This answer is provided is for informational purposes only. It is intended to provide general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship with me or my law office. Nothing here should be relied upon as legal advice, and only an attorney with knowledge of your specific case can give you advice as to how the law applies. Nothing in this response creates an attorney-client relationship and therefore these communications cannot be treated as privileged or confidential.

Yes, the charges will appear in criminal searches/background checks. You will be able to expunge (erase) the records that relate to your arrest and withdrawn charges. You need to file a Petition to do this. Hire an attorney to make sure it is done correctly.

DUI topics