Does a Wisconsin attorney have a duty to keep his client informed and to explain documents to a client who is signing them?

Ladysmith, WI |

Yes, on both counts.

Agreed, though I'd add that the lawyer has this duty only in relation to things he or she is aware of that you are signing. If you sign three documents, and the attorney has only seen and explained one, they can't be expected to explain or inform you about the ones they haven't been given an opportunity to review. Moreover, if they are presented a document and asked for instant analysis, the bar for what they are expected to inform you about would be lower than if they had been given a chance to research additional issues.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

Your question is pretty general but of course attorneys have an obligation to explain documents that you sign and advise you but you are also presumed to have read what you sign. Put your questions in writing if you feel that you are. It getting answers.