Does a Wisconsin attorney have a duty to keep his client informed and to explain documents to a client who is signing them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ladysmith, WI

1. Nicholas C. Zales

2

Answered . Yes, on both counts.

2. John Joseph Westerhaus

Answered . Agreed, though I'd add that the lawyer has this duty only in relation to things he or she is aware of that you are signing. If you sign three documents, and the attorney has only seen and explained one, they can't be expected to explain or inform you about the ones they haven't been given an opportunity to review. Moreover, if they are presented a document and asked for instant analysis, the bar for what they are expected to inform you about would be lower than if they had been given a chance to research additional issues.

3. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

Answered . Your question is pretty general but of course attorneys have an obligation to explain documents that you sign and advise you but you are also presumed to have read what you sign. Put your questions in writing if you feel that you are. It getting answers.