Does a will override community property in Texas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Humble, TX

I moved into my husbands house after marriage because he didn't want to leave it. I'm on the will right now to receive it if he dies before me. If he changes the will later, without my knowledge, does the community property law protect me or is it 100% his children's house though it's our home now?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kimberly Ann Pack Wilson

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Separate property is property owned before marriage, acquired by gift or inheritance, or recovery for personal injuries.Community property is property acquired during the marriage that is not separate property. Therefore, the house that your husband owned before your marriage is not community property and is, instead, his separate property. The "community property law" of Texas does not protect you in this instance. If he changes his will to leave the house to his children, you would have a homestead right to live there, but it would belong to his children. You might have some equitable monetary claims relating to payments or improvements to the house, but you would have no ownership except what he leaves you in his will or he agrees to provide through other means prior to his death.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more
  2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The community property law will not protect you because the house is not community property. If he leaves it to you in the will, it will be yours. If he changes the will to leave it to his kids, you will have the right to live there, but have no ownership interest. You may be able to claim some reimbursement of money spent on the home during the marriage (like remodeling, or other improvements). If you have a valid prenuptial agreement, you may have a valid contest to a change in the will. Good luck.

    This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person... more
  3. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the 2 other attorneys plus you might have a life estate - which means that you could live in the house as long as you want but you'd have to pay to maintain it.

    I recommend that you pay to sit down with an estate attorney in person & discuss all of your options. This forum is obviously not the place to discuss all the options that could occur. Family law and estate planning law are complex in Texas. Please do not rely on our 3 answers! You need a consultation with an attorney in person! It's worth an hour of an attorney's time to try to explain this to you in plain English -- these legal principals get complex very quickly -- especially when trying to explain them in these free websites.

    Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,995 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,995 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering