Does a visitor visa rejection affect a current application for green card in any way?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

My grand mother had filed an application for green card for my parents and my mother applied for a visitor visa sometime later but she was rejected. I am here in US and am a green card holder by adoption. My mother was told that since I got permanent here, they suspected that my mother will also try to settle here and so, rejected her visitor visa application. I will complete my 5 years of green card in Feb 2013 but I want my mother to visit me now since I am getting married. Will it affect her current green card application if she tries to apply for a visitor visa again and gets rejected? Also, I will be upgrading her application to immediate relative once I get my own citizenship, will it then be a problem if she has visitor visa rejections?

1. Irene Vaisman

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you were legally adopted you cannot petition for your biological mother.

Applying for a tourist visa will not effect her I-130 but she more likely than not be given the tourist visa. She must disclose the I-130 and is deemed to have immigrant intent.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

1

Answered . No, it should not.

Realistically, however, the chances of your mother being granted a visitor's visa based on the facts as you stated them here are slim to none, despite your upcoming wedding.
    I am truly sorry, but I have to be painfully honest.

3. Alice Antonovsky

6

1

Answered . You indicate that your grandmother filed an application for your parents (her child). Is that correct? If so, a reason your mom's visa was likely denied is due to that application that was filed on her behalf. A visitor's visa requires that the visitor does not have any immigrant intent, which the relative petition which was filed on her behalf negates (meaning there obviously is an immigrant intent since she is awaiting an immigrant visa to become available). Anytime someone files a relative petition for someone, there is a presumption of immigrant intent, making it less likely that a visitor's visa will be issued.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with the excellent answers you received from my colleagues here.

5. Eric M. Mark

Pro

5

Answered . Your question raises many questions. If you were adopted you cannot petition for your biological mother. If any of the applications failed to disclose something or was not 100% accurate there could be fraud charges that prevent issuance of any visa. I'd recommend setting up a consultation with a lawyer and bringing copies of the applications.