Does a UPM stay on your record? Is it better to plead guilty or not guilty?

Got pulled over. Had a grinder with a little marijuana, a bowl (glass pipe) and a bag with about 0.5 grams of marijuana. All were taken. Got a UPM with a court date.

Corning, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Do not just plead guilty. Retain a criminal defense lawyer.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Personal Injury Lawyer - Northridge, CA

It is not that simple - there are other choices that an experienced local criminal attorney can explain & assist. Don't be foolish consult with an attorney before you do ANYTHING

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Criminal Defense Attorney - Poughkeepsie, NY

One can always plead guilty, so there's no need to jump at that option. Talk to an attorney. There are ramifications, e.g. loss of federal student aid, which may impact your future. It's worth the price of a consultation.

Mayo G. Bartlett

Mayo G. Bartlett

Criminal Defense Attorney - White Plains, NY

Hire an attorney. Courts sometimes allow defendants to negotiate UPM (Unlawful Possession of Marihuana) without an attorney. In these situations the defendant usually speaks directly with the court and the prosecutor (possibly even admitting guilt). UPM is not a crime, and will be sealed, nevertheless, it may result in the denial of federal funding for college, and it may prevent a person from being granted United States citizenship. If yo are not a citizen of the United States (even if you are a legal resident) you should consult with a criminal defense attorney as well as an immigration attorney prior to attempting to resolve the UPM charge.