Does a trustee have standing to sue on behalf of a creditor whose claim is unliquidated and has no fixed value?

Canyon Country, CA |

I am a creditor of a corporation that is currently in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. About 2 1/2 years ago I filed a lawsuit against the Corporation before they filed bankruptcy. I have since filed my proof of claim correctly but currently I don't have the finances to continue the suit in bankruptcy or state court and now the trustee is suing third parties to bring money back to the estate. I am worried that the trustee does not have standing to represent my interests as a creditor since the claim is currently still unliquidated and the action is stayed.

The Chapter 7 trustee will not represent your individual interest in the estate. If you need to take any action to protect your claim, you need to retain counsel or do it pro se.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

10th Circuit said Trustee had no standing to assert avoidance claim against a creditor's pre-petition claim against debtor: The 2007 ruling was: In Hill v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. (In re MS55, Inc.), the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit concluded that the only rights a chapter 7 trustee inherits from a creditor’s committee are derivative of the debtor’s rights. Therefore, because the terms of a postpetition financing order barred the debtor from bringing certain avoidance actions, the chapter 7 trustee could not bring such avoidance claims following conversion of the debtor’s bankruptcy case from chapter 11 to chapter 7.
Other jurisdictions have held that whether or not the trustee can asset a pre-petition claim belonging to a creditor depends on whether or not the creditor's claim was one any creditor could have asserted or if it was unique to the particular creditor. You might want to review the American Bankruptcy Institute analysis of this issue in its 2008 Spring meeting. Good luck. (http://www.abiworld.org/committees/newsletters/litigation/vol5num3/standing_issues-5-26.pdf

The Trustee is not suing on your behalf ... he's suing on behalf of the BK estate. You will share pro-rata in whatever he recovers from the estate based on your claim (assuming it has not been objected to).