Does a tax lien affect joining union at UPS?

Miami, FL |

I would lke to know what it takes to join the union for jib at ups, and if a tax lien against my name will affect it

A tax lien will not affect your joining a union. You should be aware, however, that the IRS may levy your wages. You should talk with a tax attorney to resolve this.

Good luck at your new job!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

A tax lien shouldn't affect your ability to join the union; after all, it won't automatically make the union liable for your unpaid taxes. However, because the union's benefits funds might get garnishment notices from the IRS once you start accruing benefits, you should consider checking with the union itself to see if they look into anyone's credit history, which is most likely where they would find a tax lien.

My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at