Does a Snohomish County Sheriff have jurisdiction to issue a speeding ticket on the Tulalip Indian Reservation?

Marysville, WA |
Filed under: Speeding tickets

None

1. My understanding is: Yes if to a non-Indian, no if to an Indian. Maybe some other lawyers better versed in Indian law can chip in if I'm incorrect.

2. I agree with the other attorney who answered as I have the same understanding. If a person is stopped by Tribal police for a criminal driving offense and is non-Indian they contact the State Patrol or Sheriff to take over the investigation. While a speeding ticket in not a criminal offense, jurisdiction to issue infractions is treated the same.

This information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute legal advice. Evaluate this information and independently decide how to proceed. Consult an attorney who practices in the county in question.

Traffic tickets topics