Does a retainer need to be paid 100% to have someone in court?

I will be able to get money at the end of August to try and retain an atty. What can I do to ask the court for a new date to obtain an atty. I asked for time to review something b4 and was denied. I am afraid that since I had an atty who quit, I wont be granted an extension to find a new one.

Plainfield, IL -

Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Chicago, IL

If your attorney withdrew recently most courts will give you 21 days to find a new one. However, the court has a lot of discretion.

Your fee arrangement is totally between you and your attorney. Most attorneys are wary of people that burn through multiple attorneys.

David Matthew Gotzh

David Matthew Gotzh

Child Support Lawyer - Chicago, IL

What you work out between you and your lawyer is between you and him/her. There's no hard and fast rule, but most written contracts explain what you have to do before the attorney will file an appearance.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

Usually, retainer's arrangements are solely between the client and the retained attorney. Also, you are correct that you may, at your election , to retain another counsel who, in your opinion, may represent your interests better. When you are in court, you may state your necessity to have additional time to retain a new counsel and the court usually permits additional time to do so.
I agree with the prior counsel, than anyone going through several attorneys in a fast clip may raise a red flag as a potentially problematic client.

Related Advice