Does a retainer need to be paid 100% to have someone in court?

Plainfield, IL |

I will be able to get money at the end of August to try and retain an atty. What can I do to ask the court for a new date to obtain an atty. I asked for time to review something b4 and was denied. I am afraid that since I had an atty who quit, I wont be granted an extension to find a new one.

What you work out between you and your lawyer is between you and him/her. There's no hard and fast rule, but most written contracts explain what you have to do before the attorney will file an appearance.

If your attorney withdrew recently most courts will give you 21 days to find a new one. However, the court has a lot of discretion.

Your fee arrangement is totally between you and your attorney. Most attorneys are wary of people that burn through multiple attorneys.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Usually, retainer's arrangements are solely between the client and the retained attorney. Also, you are correct that you may, at your election , to retain another counsel who, in your opinion, may represent your interests better. When you are in court, you may state your necessity to have additional time to retain a new counsel and the court usually permits additional time to do so.
I agree with the prior counsel, than anyone going through several attorneys in a fast clip may raise a red flag as a potentially problematic client.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com