Skip to main content

Does a representative payee have the power of attorney?

Garden Grove, CA |

I believe that the representative payee has rejected the total of the back-pay for a SSA account. I am trying to reclaim it and turn the amount over to the recipient of the total amount of back-pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I recommend you review the materials on the responsibilities of SSA Representative Payees at the SSA's website. The link is below.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with an experienced Social Security attorney or advocate.


You would have to be appointed with a special SSA power of attorney or be appointed as guardian before you would have any power to accomplish anything for the recipient.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


Your question is not clear. If the payment was rejected, then the payment would revert to the SSA. Only they could reissue it to a different payee.

Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law regarding your question. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer