Skip to main content

Does a power of attorney taken in Ethiopia with my sister as my agent entitle her to sell /take decisions about my assets in UK?

Usk, WA |

Does a power of attorney issued to my relative in Ethiopia to look after/rent my property there, entitle my relative to sell or take decisions about my assets /property outside Ethiopia (e.g. in UK)? Or is it only valid in Ethiopia? Would that Ethiopian power of attorney work for property that I own with my husband outside Ethiopia?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You will need a power of attorney in each jurisdiction where the property is located if that is what you want to do.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.


I have changed the parctice area under which your question was posted in order to get it to the right type of attorney to give you an answer.


You wuld have to ask an attorney licensed to prqactice law in Ethiopia or the UK

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


While it is possible, my guess is that it would be unlikely. The document would either need to meet the requirements of UK law, or UK and Ethiopia would need to have a treaty that would provide for recognition of such documents. The terms of the POA itself may also limit the authority of the agent. You should consider having a new form drawn up in the UK, to be sure. POA forms are inexpensive to have prepared, and you do not want to leave anything to chance.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Each jurisdiction has its own rules. If you have assets in Ethiopia, you need to have a PoA respectful of local laws (the Ethiopian Civil Code). If you want to authorize the same person to manage other assets localized in another jurisdiction you need a different PoA that is respectful of local (UK) rules.
In any case you need to work with a local attorney preparing you the most proper documentation.
A international recognition of foreign documents is extremely long and expensive.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


Generally the foreign power of attorney will not be recognized on its own. Your assigned relative as your attorney- in-fact would have to register an appropriate Last Power of Attorney (LPA) and notification to you would also have to be issued. For more information see:

DISCLAIMER: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer