Does a person who inherite a home have to prove they can afford the payments

Asked over 2 years ago - El Cajon, CA

Both parents died with the house in there name But left a will stating the house was to go to their sole eir. He needs to change the deed to his name. How does he go about it. Also there are people staying there that he wants out so hw does he do this.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Brian Thomas

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Contact a probate attorney near you, or stay tuned for a response from one of several very experienced California probate attorneys that frequent this website. Probate is precisely designed to resolve your issues, as it is the area of law that governs the admission of Wills, transfer of property on death and resolution of ownership issues following death.

    Each of your parent's Wills likely need to be admitted to probate, in order to give them legal effect. In most cases, a personal representative is appointed to serve as the executor or administrator. Among their chief responsibilities is the transfer of title to property out of the decedent's name and into the name(s) of the intended beneficiaries. As a part of this, many executors and administrators must often deal with tenants, guests, and even unwanted guests all the time.

    Do yourself a favor and visit with a probate attorney near you to learn exactly how this process works. Best of luck.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make... more
  2. Janet Lee Brewer


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the house was in your parents' names (as opposed to in the name of a living trust), then if it is worth more than $150,000 you will need to "probate" it. The value of the house is measured based on what you would sell it for, not what you would receive after the mortgage is paid off.

    If you need help with the probate, I can assist you anyplace in the state of California.

    Assuming that the house is worth more than $150K, you need to file a petition with the court to be appointed as the "administrator" of your parents' estate. Once you've been appointed, you can serve an eviction notice on the people that are living there.

    Let me know if I can be of assistance.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more
  3. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The title to the home can be changed through probate. The will will have to be submitted to probate. This is a process that should involve an attorney to prepare the paperwork and petition the court on behalf pf the estate. We offer a free initial consultation for probate matters if you have any further questions.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,936 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,936 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary