Does a person requesting a Financial Disclosure have to give their Financial Disclosure first before i do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orland Park, IL

i received the form from my ex-wife's attorney, but my ex-wife did not disclose hers first. Is it law that she needs to disclose hers prior to requesting from me?

1. Wes Cowell

2

1

Answered . I think you're in Cook County. Cook County has a rule that deals with this. It's too long to go into in this forum. You need to know the rules.

Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- no charge, no obligation. We can talk about the rules.

2. Gary L. Schlesinger

2

Answered . no it is not the law. there may be a local court rule requiring disclosure from both of you by a certain time. if not, then she or he who asks, gets. she asked, you did not.

since you do not know the procedural rules, why not hire a lawyer who does?

3. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . There is no requirement that you must "show me yours before requiring me to show you mine." Financial disclosure, with only sa few exceptions, must e requested or it is not offered. You need a lawyer.

4. Jenette M. Schwemler

1

Answered . Check your local court rules, but neither the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act nor the Supreme Court Rules require a person requesting discovery, such as a financial disclosure, to first disclose his or her finances before requesting the same from you.

Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.
  5. Julia Sverdloff

1

Answered . You need a lawyer, most of us do not charge for initial consult. There is no such thing "you show me yours before I show you mine." The rule is too long to go into it on this message board.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.