Does a person have to pay for a public defender if he is assigned one by the court? South Dakota

Lexington, KY |

The judge asked if he could afford a lawyer or wanted a public defender. He said no he could not afford one and wanted a public defender. He is in jail now and he gets a bill from his public defender.

I don't practice in South Dakota, but in KY, the Court has the authority to assess a Public Defender fee depending on the individual case. Most PD services are provided for free to the indigent defendants. But, based on income, the Court can charge a modest fee for the client to pay for the services of the PD.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Each state has different rules about public defenders. Some have application fees. Others assess fees only if you have been convicted once the case is over.