Does a person have to pay for a public defender if he is assigned one by the court? South Dakota

Asked about 1 year ago - Lexington, KY

The judge asked if he could afford a lawyer or wanted a public defender. He said no he could not afford one and wanted a public defender. He is in jail now and he gets a bill from his public defender.

1. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . I don't practice in South Dakota, but in KY, the Court has the authority to assess a Public Defender fee depending on the individual case. Most PD services are provided for free to the indigent defendants. But, based on income, the Court can charge a modest fee for the client to pay for the services of the PD.

2. Joe Wayne Hendricks Jr.

Answered . Each state has different rules about public defenders. Some have application fees. Others assess fees only if you have been convicted once the case is over.