Does a person have to be a member of the bar in order to represent me / act as my attorney?

Roseburg, OR |

IE: Could I appoint a law student to represent me or do I have to have an actual attorney?

You will need an attorney to represent you in court if you are not representing yourself.

A law student may appear, in most states, IF under the supervision of an admitted attorney. Otherwise, not.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. You need an actual attorney. It is illegal to practice law without a license. See: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/009.html

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

3. You need to be represented by an attorney. Whether you know better or not, the law student better--no sense in getting disbarred before graduating; the job market is tough enough.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general legal information relevant to the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to your specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further. www.MaugerLaw.com

4. This is a bad idea!

The only time that law students are allowed to practice law is under a limited set of circumstances where they are supervised by an attorney who is licensed to practice in Oregon. For example, Lewis And Clark Law School runs a program where tenants can get low-cost representation by law students practicing under a supervising attorney.

To do otherwise is an ethics violation for the law student before they ever apply to the Oregon State Bar. Also, all attorneys in Oregon are required to carry Professional Liability Insurance. A law student would not have this, thus putting the client at even greater risk (in addition to the likely lack of experience).

My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.

5. As others have noted, you cannot be represented by the law student alone. The law student may do a lot of the actual lawyering but still must be supervised by an actual attorney who is ultimately responsible for your case.

Discussions on Avvo should not be relied upon as legal advice and should not be substituted for an in depth consultation with an attorney. Any answer provided does not create an attorney/client relationship.