Does a permanent restraining order ever expire and how can I rescind one?

Asked about 5 years ago - Orlando, FL

My ex put a restraining order on me nine years ago. She was in Colorado and I was in Florida. We had just got divorced (within days) and she owed me money. I called to ask her about it and she put a permanent restraining order on me. We had a no fault divorce. How can I find out if it is still in effect? I am a jeweler now and need a handgun for protection. I have also heard it presents a problem when trying to re enter the country because I will be red flagged. Are there any legal remedies? I have had no contact with her since this took place.

1. Craig A. Epifanio

Answered . Permanent means it never expires. But that doesn't mean a judge can't remove it. You should probably hire an attorney to do this. A judge would probably be inclined to grant your motion to dissolve the injunction but you are probably going to have to serve her. If you don't know where she lives, then you may have to hire a private investigator to find her so that she can be served. Good luck.

2. Stephen Andrew Mosca

Answered . Check with the Court Clerk's office in the county in which the order was originally placed. If that isn't helpful, I think you should seek the assistance of an attorney to get the order itself and examine it to see the current status.

Permanent orders are rare: most are set to expire in a fixed period of time. If for some reason the order is still in effect, an attorney can advise you on the best way to move to have it rescinded.