Skip to main content

Does a paroled sex offender have to get permission from their parole officer to move to another address?

San Leandro, CA |

This is a recent parolee and and was supposed to be released to their parent's address. Instead, the parolee was released to a city and county far from the parolee's parent and is now looking at possibly becoming homeless. The parolee would like to live with their parent. Can the parolee go and register with in the city the parent is living and reside there?

Attorney Answers 3


He should talk to his PO right away.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


When you are on parole you cannot live where you want. You have to get permission. If your parents live in a different county you would have to get your parole transferred before you could move. Additionally, as a sex registrant, your residential options are further restricted. You need to go to your parole agent and talk with him/her immediately

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Not without the parole officer's permission, unless the parolee wants to be reincarcerated.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics