Does a parent have to let you in?

Asked over 1 year ago - Easton, PA

Im 16 and my parents are divorced. My mother has custody over me this week but refuses to let me in the house.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jacob Ryan Lauser

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty here. Generally, I would say that she does have a responsibility to care and house you during her custodial time, but holding her accountable for this may prove to be more difficult. Normally, I would suggest that you simply go home to your dad and have him petition the court to remove your mother's custodial time, since she clearly doesn't want to exercise it. However, you have to understand that you are the minor child in this case, and while the court will listen to your desires as a 16 year old (rather than a younger child), the court really only has jurisdiction over your parents in settling visitation matters. Of course, if your situation is unbearable or abusive at both parents homes and nobody wants you around, you could seek to have yourself emancipated and you will be authorized legally to make your own decisions. Of course, that would release your parents from their obligations to you for the next 2-3 years, which probably isn't advisable unless you are being abused. I suggest you go back to your dad and just try and work things out with your mom later, if possible. Otherwise, you might speak with an attorney in your area about help if neither of your parents cooperate in resolving this.

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,577 answers this week

3,441 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,577 answers this week

3,441 attorneys answering