Does a parent have the right to hear the recording of a minors statement

My minor daughter made a statement to the police, without my presence. My understanding is that the interview should have been recorded. Do I have the right to hear that recording?

Manitowoc, WI -

Attorney Answers (1)

Cynthia Russell Henley

Cynthia Russell Henley

Criminal Defense Attorney - Houston, TX

No, you do not. The police have the right to interrogate minors with regard to criminal matters without the presence or even the knowledge of the parent or guardian. And, you do not have the right to hear the recording, although if you end up needing to hire a lawyer for your daughter, the lawyer will have access to it.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.