Does a Ohio State Trooper have the right to open a locked safe in my vehicle after a one car accident with/with out a warrant?

Negley, OH |

no alcohol or drugs caused the accident. My vehicle was the only vehicle involved in the accident.

A warrantless search of a locked container could be the subject matter of a motion to suppress. I have won this issue in courtrooms (and appeals) before -- but every case requires an individual analysis. Speaking in private with an attorney in his/her office would be a good idea.

2. I need more information. Was the locked safe in the trunk or the cockpit? Was the car drivable or was it impounded? In general the police need a warrant to search. There are some exceptions. We all want to know what was in the locked safe and were you charged as a result of the content found?

3. Under some circumstances, yes.

In other circumstances, no.

More details are needed to determine which category your situation falls in.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.