Does a non disclosure clause in an employee handbook keep me from telling someone that the company is using deceit & lies.

Asked over 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

My company uses deceit, shady practices, and out and out lies to sell things to the public and make huge profits. I want to tell someone in authority like a news person of a local tv station so they can do their own investigation and expose the company to the public. I did sign a page saying I understand the rules of employment in the handbook, which does have a very general listing about things not to disclose about this company, with punishment of loss of job and lawsuits... I cannot afford a lawsuit , but I do not want to let them get away with the deceitful practices and out and out lies they are telling to their customers everyday and making huge sales and profits... Please advise...

1. Leonard P Haberman

Answered . There are whistle blower statutes that will protect you in this situation. You must tread lightly, but you simply cannot be fired for exposing your company's fraud.

Feel free to email me at lenhaberman@me.com to discuss further.

Len Haberman

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

Answered . You should consult an experienced labor and employment lawyer in your area about the situation with the employer.

3. Peyman Dadmehr

Answered . You should consult an employment lawyer. We have a case now where our client disclosed the company's illegal activities to the district attorney and of course he is protected by the whistle blower statutes. I would not go around and telling your friends, their customers, or their competition but I would consult with a lawyer and/or report to law enforcement.