Does a motion for reconsideration toll time to file notice of appeal? This is a federal civil case.

Odessa, FL |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

A summary judgment order is being appealed.

Yes - under FRAP 4(a)(4) IF the motion is one under FRCP 52(b), 59 or 60 (special rules apply re 60). Note that there is technically not a "thing" called a motion for reconsideration in the federal rules (unless you have a special case under Florida Local Rules). The motions listed above have much more technical and restrictive requirements than simply asking to reconsider.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not legal advice but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in Nevada. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Only if it is timely.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

Clifford M. Miller

Clifford M. Miller

Better look at Appellate Rule 4 and the rules it cites to see if the "Motion for Reconsideration" fits in one of the categories.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes