Does a mother have the right to kick out her adult son, or does she have to continue to allow him to live with her?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Richmond, IN

My friend recently kicked her 32 yr.old son out of her house. She was told there was a new Indiana law that said if anyone lived with you for more than 6 months you could not kick them out. Her name is on the lease. Her son does not contribute to any thing, not rent, living expenses, or utilities - nothing.

1. Answered . Who told her about this supposed law? Was it perhaps the son? I am not aware of it.

If the mother owns her home, then she may ask any guest to leave. If a guest will not leave, the guest is a tresspasser and she should call the police.

At this age, he may not realize it but she has no obligation of support, either.