Does a mother have the right to kick out her adult son, or does she have to continue to allow him to live with her?

Richmond, IN |

My friend recently kicked her 32 yr.old son out of her house. She was told there was a new Indiana law that said if anyone lived with you for more than 6 months you could not kick them out. Her name is on the lease. Her son does not contribute to any thing, not rent, living expenses, or utilities - nothing.

1. Who told her about this supposed law? Was it perhaps the son? I am not aware of it.

If the mother owns her home, then she may ask any guest to leave. If a guest will not leave, the guest is a tresspasser and she should call the police.

At this age, he may not realize it but she has no obligation of support, either.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Landlord-tenant law topics