Does a minor need one or both parent's consent to get married in Florida?

Ocala, FL |
Filed under: Family law

If the minor's parents are married, is consent from one of the parents enough for the minor to get married?

Both parents must consent in writing. In fact, when the couple goes to the clerk's office to apply for the license (which must be done in person), whichever of them are minors must bring both parents with them.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

If parents get a divorce, then is one parent's permission sufficient?

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

No. As long as both parents are living, both parents must consent in writing.

The child has to be over 16 to be issued a marriage license and both parents must provide sworn, written consent to said marriage.

I agree with both prior posts. Both parents for the bride and groom must consent. You'll need to make a trip to the courthouse with the couple to obtain the marriage license.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

Recommended articles about Family law