Does a minor need one or both parent's consent to get married in Florida?

Asked 11 months ago - Ocala, FL

If the minor's parents are married, is consent from one of the parents enough for the minor to get married?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Both parents must consent in writing. In fact, when the couple goes to the clerk's office to apply for the license (which must be done in person), whichever of them are minors must bring both parents with them.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more
  2. Jordan Gerber

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The child has to be over 16 to be issued a marriage license and both parents must provide sworn, written consent to said marriage.

  3. Arica Lynn Braaten


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with both prior posts. Both parents for the bride and groom must consent. You'll need to make a trip to the courthouse with the couple to obtain the marriage license.

    Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,498 answers this week

3,166 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,498 answers this week

3,166 attorneys answering