Does a minor have legal rights to their own money, against a parent?

Suwanee, GA |

I am a 17 year old female. I graduated at the age of 16 and started my first semester of college last year. I currently work 2 jobs, one full time and the other is part time. I work 70 hours a week, and I pay for my own car payment, insurance, phone bill, and cable for my home. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my 2 younger sisters, and my mother. Over the past 2 months , my mother has forced me to give her ALL of the money I bring home from both jobs. Which comes to about $600 a week. I will turn 18 in August, but if she is taking all of my earnings, I will be unable to move out. I have explained to her that this isn't right, but she doesn't care. my younger sister makes around $200 a week, which she is also taking. Is there any legal action we can take? Or will I just have to wait?

Until you are 18, you mother can set the financial rules. Once you are 18, then you can decide.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

You have the option to ask the court to declare that you are emancipated; however, since you turn 18 in two months, it is unlikely this process will be completed before you are automatically emancipated at 18. Once you are 18, she cannot demand that you give her all your earnings. Georgia Legal Aid has some resources on emancipation: http://www.georgialegalaid.org/resource/emancipation-of-minors.