Does a minor have legal rights to their own money, against a parent?

I am a 17 year old female. I graduated at the age of 16 and started my first semester of college last year. I currently work 2 jobs, one full time and the other is part time. I work 70 hours a week, and I pay for my own car payment, insurance, phone bill, and cable for my home. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my 2 younger sisters, and my mother. Over the past 2 months , my mother has forced me to give her ALL of the money I bring home from both jobs. Which comes to about $600 a week. I will turn 18 in August, but if she is taking all of my earnings, I will be unable to move out. I have explained to her that this isn't right, but she doesn't care. my younger sister makes around $200 a week, which she is also taking. Is there any legal action we can take? Or will I just have to wait?

Suwanee, GA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Adoption Lawyer - East Point, GA

Until you are 18, you mother can set the financial rules. Once you are 18, then you can decide.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
Elizabeth Marum

Elizabeth Marum

Family Law Attorney - Decatur, GA

You have the option to ask the court to declare that you are emancipated; however, since you turn 18 in two months, it is unlikely this process will be completed before you are automatically emancipated at 18. Once you are 18, she cannot demand that you give her all your earnings. Georgia Legal Aid has some resources on emancipation:

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.