Does a marital separation agreement need to be filed to be valid in NYS / if so will that affect the medical insurance benifits

will i still be covered under my spouses medical benifits if the agreement is filed

New York, NY -

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - White Plains, NY

One is best advised to file a memorandum of the separation agreement with the Clerk's Office. That said, the provisions of the agreement itself should govern continued coverage - if it requires continued coverage & your spouse drops you from the plan, you may file an action for breach of contract. In any event, I highly suggest you bring the agreement in for a full review by a NYC Divorce lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Chappaqua, NY

There is nothing in the filing or non filing of the agreement that alters medical coverage. However, what the agreement says may provide for a change.

Penelope J Blizzard-McGrath

Penelope J Blizzard-McGrath

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Ronkonkoma, NY

A Separation Agreement does not HAVE to be filed in NYS, but it is a good idea to file it so there is a record of it. With respect to health insurance, in NYS, unless otherwise stipulated, a spouse is required to maintain their spouse on their health insurance until a final judgment of divorce is signed by a judge.

Daniel Yaniv

Daniel Yaniv

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - New York, NY

While it is impossible for me to advise you regarding your entitlement to medical benefits without knowledge of the terms provided in the Separation Agreement, the agreement does not need to be filed in order to be binding . It would be a good idea ,to file it so that there is in fact, a record of the agreement.

Jean M. Mahserjian

Jean M. Mahserjian

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Clifton Park, NY

No, it does not need to be file

----- Reply message -----

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Westbury, NY

If you are still coverd by your spouse's medical benefits depends on what your seperation agreement says. Speak to your lawyer about that. The agreement does not have to be filed to be falid.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Newtonville, NY

Yes, it should be filed. The provisions for medical benefits outlined in the agreement are enforceable whether the agreement is filed or not.