Does a Marijuana related charge affect me for employment in California if its been over 2 years? I heard that it shouldnt.

Asked over 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

Does a Marijuana related Charge affect me for employment in california if its been over 2 years? I heard that it is not supposed to.

I took the 5 year fellony probation because at that time i was employed and going to school and couldnt fight my case from jail.

I was arrested for selling a bag of marijuana to an undercover officer. I would never sell it but the officer gave me a sob story and instead of getting groceries like I was walking into the store to do. I later found out that it was entrapment but I had a public defender.

It has been 2 years now and the jobs that I have been getting keep me for a week until my background check comes back.

Additional information

my public defender said that it would not be a sales charge it would be felony posession. Would that make a difference?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Tai Christopher Bogan


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sadly this felony will be on your record and could effect your employment chances. What you are confusing is misdemeanor personal possession of marijuana is erased from your records after a certain number of years, not a felony.

    The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  2. Jared Christian Winter

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will most definitely show on a background check. However, the question of whether or not it will keep you from gaining employment depends on your employer, not the law.

    If you're interested in pursuing an expungement, feel free to contact me for a free consultation. My practice is based in Oakland and I takes cases all over the bay area.

  3. David Jon Pullman

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have been convicted of a possession for sale of marijuana, which is a straight felony and will definitely affect your employment for the rest of your life. You could pursue a 1203.4 dismissal and eventually a Certificate of Rehabilitation, both of which will help your employment situation, but your employers will be seeing this conviction for the rest of your life. Your crime is a straight felony and cannot be reduced to a misdemeanor as another attorney suggested. You can apply for an early termination of probation. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in doing so. Good luck to you.

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Marijuana laws and criminal charges

Marijuana laws are federal, state, and local laws regulating the growth, distribution and possession of marijuana for both medical and recreational purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,851 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,851 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering